• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 650g gravy beef or chuck steak, trimmed
• 1 cup coconut cream
• 2 tablespoons massaman curry paste (see related recipe)
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
• 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 2 bay leaves
• 5 cardamom pods, lightly crushed (see note)
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate (see note)
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce
• steamed jasmine rice, to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add beef. Cook, stirring constantly, until evenly browned. Transfer to a plate. Add 2 tablespoons coconut cream to pan. Cook over medium heat for 20 seconds or until hot. Add curry paste. Cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.
2. Return beef and juices to pan. Add coconut milk, stock, peanuts, potatoes, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cardamom pods, sugar, tamarind concentrate, fish sauce and remaining coconut cream. Stir to combine.
3. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with rice.
Click the state of denial, Hello by The Cat Empire follows